Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Bad taste in my mouth

As I'm scouring craigslist for a few things I need for the house I'm astounded at the kind of furniture that people actually have in their homes. And I realize that they are selling it so we'll give them credit that they are possibly putting more attractive furniture in to replace the ugly stuff....but then I see the prices that some of these people are asking.

A 12 year old southwest style sofa (you know the kind, the one with all the geometric shapes and stripes, etc) and they want $400 for it? I mean are you kidding me? I wouldn't take it for FREE! Well that's not true, I might take it for free and then take a chain saw to it, just so some poor unsuspecting newlywed trying to decide her style doesn't end up buying thinking it could possibly work (I mean, they're neutral colors right? seems logical)

I saw this atrocious 80's style master bedroom set with black lacquer and brass accents with huge triangles jutting out of all the corners listed for $1200!!!!!!!

I'm so ashamed of people sometimes.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

I spent at least an hour last week looking through our CL. I had the same impression. I am looking for a vase. There were so many DOllar STore Vases (clear, no name brand) asking price $40. What in the world? I even saw an IKEA item that they wanted to sell *used* at a higher price than in store.

5littlenordstroms said...

I agree why do people think its okay to charge those kinds of prices junk but I keep looking in hopes that I'll find a great deal.

Shelly said...

you are exactly right! i search high and low for a good deal and lately it has been shameful!

Unknown said...

I have been looking for an entertainment center and i have found the same thing. What are people thinking selling a $25 stand that is leaning to the side. Throw it away. Also as i am hunting for a little tikes car at garage sales today I seriously saw people with their cars loaded with junk....i guess they just can't pass up a good deal!