Sunday, June 22, 2008

Pointless Question of the Day

To my LDS friends and family, do you use alcohol in your cooking?

(and to those of you who think all the alcohol burns off in the cooking process, you're wrong, that's a myth. only the MAJORITY of the alcohol burns off, not all)

9 comments:

Mimi said...

No. With William in the house it's a little hard to explain.

However, we used to have marinated brats in beer and white wine in white sauces (which I love).
It's not a black and white issue with burned off alcohol. That's why I don't trust restaurants. Heat, time, and surface area influence the amounts of alcohol remaining. Mixing wine with a white sauce makes it hard for the alcohol to evaporate. You have to do it separately.

Jill said...

wow I never new that. My old boss would bring me stuff back from vacation and once she brought back a rum cake. I didn't feel right eating it. so I just took it home and threw it away.

Unknown said...

Nope~ I never trust the burn off theory. I use chicken broth and other things in place, isn't the same but gotta do what you can!

Nash said...

I liked it better when I didn't know, now I'm going to have to think about it.

Hanna said...

I never had any problem with it. Maybe I still don't. The rum cake is another story, though. I can usually smell the rum permeating from the cake. yuck. I don't like the taste of alcohol at all - so if the taste was still in my food, I wouldn't eat it.

Kasey said...

No. I would just feel dirty buying it.

There is usually a sub you can use instead. Rachel Ray using lots of wine and stuff in her cooking, but she always mentions a substitute, so if it does call for it, you can still make it using a sub.

Nash said...

Even if it doesn't "burn" off all the way, it's not as though you are drinking out of the bottle, and I'm totally for no alcohol. I don't use it in cooking, only because I'm not much of a cook. I have wondered how you buy it. Do you have to go into the alcohol section? What about cooking wine? I use it at YC's all the time.

Jenn S. said...

I use cooking wine (found near vinegar at the store) for some sauces, but hardly ever. I think I've had my current bottle for over a year.

I would feel weird buying it from a liquor store or in the alcohol section.

Funny side story. One of Marc's fellow MBA students brought us a bottle of wine for Savannah's first birthday! So random - but I guess he didn't know we didn't drink and apparently that's a normal gift for a one year old? I did end up using it for cooking (but I'm naughty like that). ;)

Genny said...

Yes, if I'm somewhere (family's house) cooking and it's readily available. My grandma has brought her own to cook at my house and left it there, so I've used that. It's been ages since I actually bought any to cook with, though, and that's probably mostly because it's been ages since I've cooked...