Monday, April 30, 2007

Where can I find a forest full of furry animals to help with the housework?

I didn't get nearly enough housework done today considering I have company coming tomorrow night (yes, it's that bad LOL) so I guess tomorrow will be a non-stop cleaning fest. Yay!

I came across a passage in "Sleepless in America" last night that I absolutely loved, and I think it really was a great reminder to me, that I'm not doing anything wrong. The book's in the other room, so I can't quote directly, but basically it says that a child's personality has nothing to with whether a she was bottle-fed or breastfed, slept in a crib or co-slept, born at home with no drugs or born by c-section. I didn't MAKE her this way. The author calls this kind of child a "tense" child. They need more help getting to sleep, and their needs should not be brushed aside when it comes to helping them get there. A tense child will not respond to crying it out like other children might. They'll just end up getting upset or even vomiting when left to cry (yikes!)

I didn't create a monster. This beautiful, spirited, higher needs, attached baby was given to me. She's a blessing, and I have to remind myself each day that she NEEDS to be near me. Ainsley didn't need it as much, and there's nothing wrong with that. But Caelan needs it, and as her parent, it is my obligation to meet the needs of my children.

Thankfully the author also has some great advice on slowly and NON-traumatically getting her to sleep on her own eventually, but this little monkey attached to my leg/arm/back/tummy/neck/hair is a blessing, and not a burden, and that's how I intend to treat her.

Today I am grateful for:

1. Books...and not every author is a genius and can fix all problems, but it's been wonderful to have these undiscovered feelings and thoughts be brought out in me that I might not otherwise have found.

2. husbands that bring home chocolate, without having been asked

3. packages from grandma with pretty frilly dresses inside that keep 3 year olds entertained for hours while twirling and spinning into every last piece of furniture in the house, but who cares about the bruises because look at my dress mommy! it's a spinny dress mommy! I love my dress mommy! Look mommy, I'm a dancing princess! Mommy, did you see me spin?

4. a 1 year old that has started to develop the funnest personality, I could just sit and watch her all day as she climbs on all the furniture, then falls back into a pile of pillows and just lays there staring at her mommy with the most innocent half-smile, but underneath it all we know she's just gearing up to poop her pants

5. damn, I have good hair! Seriously, have you seen my hair? No...of course you haven't, it's been in a pony tail for 2 months straight, but I let it down tonight, and DAMN, I have good hair!

2 comments:

Hanna said...

OMG - you kill me! LOL!

I'm glad you got your dresses from mom. I need to see matchy-sister pics of them - just to give me that twinge of "oh, I wish Addie had a sister".

kisses

Serin said...

LOL I wish I had good hair.

Glad you're "coming to terms" (for lack of a better phrase) with Cae's sleep and how to improve it